Thursday, September 01, 2005

In the library

I subscribed to John Mauldin's Thoughts From the Frontline some time ago. This is a weekly market and economic commentary from him (he runs an advisory service) and you also get a separate weekly "outside the box", which is a potpouri of other peoples' commentary. I was a bit hesitant at first, on reading (as I dimly now recall) that one of his kids maybe goes/went to Oral Roberts University? Anyway, whatever his religion, I've never sensed any of it crossing over into his market views. And even if I did, I'd still be inclined to read his stuff because it provides a way of looking at things that both jive with my instincts and broadens my understanding of them.

His current weekly message is "The Fed Targets Your Home", and you can (and I suggest should) read it at
http://www.frontlinethoughts.com/index.asp where you can also sign up for his free weekly reports.

His current "Outside the Box" pick takes you to
http://www.bedlamplc.com/pick_of_the_week.aspx?section=pow, where you'll find another investment advisor with a way of looking at things that I think you'd find "different". I strongly urge you to read "Remember Golmud, and mass hysteria" from their list of picks, but, to get a flavour of the author(s) you really ought to start with "A big ‘thank you’ to the Workers and
in praise of subsidies*". You'll feel right properly twisted by the time you finish it.

You, and I, may not always agree with these guys. But they ain't idiots and if you are inclined to disagree, they offer great material to test how sharp your arguments are. And, hey, it's better than old Fraser and Sex and the City reruns.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep Blogging!

25 November 2005 at 2:49:00 am GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home