Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Johnny

I don't know exactly why the story of little Johnny Miller strikes such a chord with me, but it does. His recollections are of growing up in the eighties, but his memories have rekindled mine, and mine would have come from the fifties and early sixties. Everyone called me Johnny, too. I can almost smell the kitchen, see my great-Uncle Solon and his wife Aunt Fanny Lou at the table, feel the languid summer Tennessee air and hear the clutch grinding away on the old Chevy pickup. Boy, that's a long, long time ago and far, far away on some distant and nearly forgotten planet. I want to thank the author for taking me back. You don't need a ticket; go to http://armadillocreek.blogspot.com/. I'm sure you'll be invited in, to have a big glass of ice tea and sit a spell.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, just the way you write I can smell that air and hear that clutch, love your work. Mort

6 September 2005 at 12:30:00 pm GMT+10  
Blogger Arkansawyer said...

Thanks for the writeup, and I am glad you enjoy it! I've never taken the time to sit and spin the yarns that are inside. I can remember those hot summer nights, sitting on the porch, just listing to Dad and Uncle Wilbur and whoever else happened to drop in, telling stories just like these, as they'd roll up a Prince Albert and talk forever. They're gone now, and I can only remember fragments of those tales. When I started writing this, it was so that my stories don't get lost just like the ones of old..... So drop in anytime, that glass of tea'll be waiting.....

6 September 2005 at 1:03:00 pm GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home