Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The truth? You can't handle the truth....**


"[i]n early 2003, ranking J.A.G. [Judge Advocate Generals -- the front line military lawyers] officers from every service branch [of the U.S. military] tried to warn against interrogation methods that violate the human and legal rights of prisoners in U.S. military detention facilities... Every American who cares about our troops, our security and our international prestige should know why the J.A.G.’s were so deeply concerned about the direction taken by the Bush administration. In essence, the J.A.G. officers worried about the effect on the military of policies that encouraged torture and other interrogation practices prohibited under U.S. and international law. Doing so endangered American troops...." http://www.observer.com/opinions_conason.asp

**
http://www.whysanity.net/monos/fewgood.html


And on the lighter side:

You Can't Handle the Truth (http://tdaxp.blogspirit.com/archive/2005/07/21/you-can-t-handle-the-truth.html)

Son, we live in a world that has powerpoint. And those slides need to be produced by men with oak leafs. Who's gonna do it? You? You with a star? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for my briefings and you curse my formatting. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that my briefings, while drawn out, probably save lives. . . You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at meetings, you want my presentations. You need my presentations. We use words like diagram gallery, paste special, clipboard . . . we use these words as the backbone of a job spent briefing something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain why I formatted an object to a man who briefs and gets promoted by the very presentation I make, then questions the way in which I format it! I'd rather you just said Thank You and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you make your own slide, and give the briefing. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think the slide should say.

The original of that is at the following site. Maybe it's not the lighter side after all. I don't know. I suppose I can't handle the truth, either.
http://www.blackwaterusa.com/btw2005/archive/061305btw.html

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home